Friday 30 May 2014

Time to take a breath

It's been a busy couple of weeks and I've learnt a lot in that time.  Lucky to have so many positive and wise people around me

A couple of weeks ago I ran my longest official run - 14.5km.  The SMH Half Marathon was on in Sydney and Molly and I decided to run the relay event - she'd run 6.5km and I'd run 14.5km.  To say I was nervous was an understatement, especially after being sick.  But I had to do this, had to do it for my head.  I was so nervous and on numerous occasions was ready to throw my bib to Garry and get him to run the leg for me.  I did it, I ran and I ran the whole way!!!!  I'm so happy to be a member of Run Club, because one of the lovely ladies, Naomi, said she'd catch up to me and run with me.  Naomi ran with me from about my 7km mark.  I struggled with some kms, but pushed on and ran the whole way.

I think the best part was hearing Jacqueline's voice behind me, a couple of hundred metres from the finish line.

Not the best time, but a finished time - 1.45.06



Feeling healthier and back out running!!!!

Last Saturday I ran my longest distance so far - 17km, around Narrabeen Lakes.  A lovely scenic flat course and a couple of different terrains.  Again, a great run with some lovely Run Clubbers and brunch afterwards.

I felt alright after the 17km - tired, legs a bit fatigued but overall ok.

Saturday night Garry and I went out for a pub dinner and to watch a karaoke final.

I posted a pic of the two of us and was surprised at the distance between the both of us.  Lots of other people also thought there was a slight difference :)



Sunday morning was an early morning Open Water Swim Clinic at Balmoral Beach - time to get some hints and tips and overcome my last bad swimming experience.  I felt a little overwhelmed (feeling like my life is overwhelmed) because lots of the swimmers were Ironman Triathletes and little old me was at enticer level.  But Hillary Biscay - Ironwoman extraordinaire was very accommodating and so supportive.  Had a great morning, swam some distance and learnt some new skills.



Sunday afternoon was a leisurely (NOT) 8km of Run Club workout!!!!

phew feeling tired just reading the workouts!!!!

Needless to say on Monday I was very tired, fatigued and feeling quite sooky.

Thanks to some great advice from friends (Molly and AJ), I've decided to save the swimming until after the Gold Coast and just ride for the enjoyment of it.

Time to pull back and just focus on the running for the next five and a half weeks.

So thanks so much everyone for being so supportive and I'll keep on running -not long to go now.

I've included my half marathon training as part of my maths lessons, so I have 30 little cheerleaders asking me everyday how my running is going.  Going to think of those little cheerleaders as I'm running the 21.1!!!

2 comments:

  1. Your class will be enjoying all the real world maths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Sue! Love that your class is involved and you are setting a great example for them. It's also good that you have realised you can't do everything all at the same time. Enjoy your next 5 1/2 weeks and I will be cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete