Sunday 11 May 2014

A slight hiccup

Well, the week that was ...............

This weekend I had an enticer tri and a 4km fun run for Mother's Day.  I was looking forward to both events, with the tri being my second and the Mother's Day Classic being the anniversary of runs.  I was looking forward to see how fast I could run in the 4km.

HHHmmmm not all went to plan.

I woke up on Thursday with a tickle of a cough that I couldn't shake, it hung around for Friday and Saturday morning.  Just a niggle, no yucky bits being coughed up or ear aches.  I was keen for the tri, excited to see the happy tri girls again.

All set to swim, we wade into the water ............ OMG, it's so freaking cold!!!!  We're then treading water, waiting for others to come into the water, seemed to take forever.  Once the hooter went off, I started swimming but there was tightness in my chest and my lungs couldn't cope with breathing under the water.  I then tried breaststroke and finally kicking on my back.  I quickly realised I wasn't going to make the 300m - just didn't have the energy in my arms.  I very reluctantly put my hand up and got rescued and taken to the medic tent.  Not feeling real well and lots of hurt pride :(

The medics were great, wrapped me in a blanket and discovered my oxygen levels were quite low (low 90s), so put me on oxygen.  This was for about 10 -15 minutes.  Finally started to feel better, still coughing but stronger.  I reluctantly went to get changed into warm clothes.

I'd held it together, but once the girls started finishing and saw me all clothed and the questions started, I began to cry.  They were great, very supportive but it was definitely a lesson learnt - listen to your body.

We went to the doctors after the tri had finished.  Very interesting and again disappointing.  I'm sorry Australia but sometimes I feel like our medical system is that of a third world country - waiting 2 hours to see a doctor, only one doctor working at a large medical centre????

Diagnosis - no chest infection.  No real diagnosis but something aggravating my throat.  He prescribed an inhaler.  It seems to be working but definitely taking tomorrow off work and will go to my regular doctor.

So an interesting lesson - don't compete (especially swimming) if you're not 100% and I'm also going to practice some open water swims to prepare myself for the coldness of the water!!!



This morning we woke early to go to Parramatta for the Mother's Day Classic - 4km fun run.  I wasn't running - time to listen to the body.  My husband and two girls were running.  It was great to see them run and produce good times.  Again, a little disappointed because I wanted to see how much I'd improved from last year.  Last year Mother's Day Classic was my first ever fun run.  I was going to try and run the distance at a 6 minute pace.  Oh well, big and better things are happening in eight weeks time!!!!!

On a side note, a big side note ................... HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!

Look at what my lovely 20 year old son gave me;


a feijoa tree - my all time favourite fruit!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Love the feijoa. We had a whole field of trees. I didn't realise they were New Zealanders!
    As for the missing of events, I can only imagine how you feel! I know it's for the best but there is always that bit of disappointment when a planned event has been missed.
    Well, hopefully you can run the MDC next year and still get your comparison. Onwards and upwards. Hope you are feeling better soon and back to your normal transmission!!!

    ReplyDelete