Tuesday 7 April 2015

The Road to Canberra

Wow, I can't believe it's been over 3 months since I've posted.

Life has been busy :)

Four more sleeps and I'll be running my second half marathon in Canberra.

It's not been an easy few months of training, but what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger ............ right??? LOL

My last event was early February and was the 10km Sun Run, where I struggled with my slowest time in a very long time.  I was struggling with itb issues, which when seen by a good physio, a lot of the problem came down to the shoes.

Sorry Hoka, but you just weren't made for me.  So back to Asics and a few physio visits and all seems to be going well ............. yay.



So between itb, shoes and seeing a sports dietician and being on a low fodmap diet to sort out some sensitive tummy issues, it's been a busy few months.

Even though I was struggling with itb and at times barely able to string together a km, I kept on training and with the addition of strength training, I'm feeling good.



I've had some of my best runs in the last month, with family (thanks Miss Brittles) and with lovely Run Club ladies.  They've all been positive people and without their company I would not have run the distances I did.

At times when I was doubting running and thinking the bike looked like a good option, I have now found my happy running place and looking forward to Canberra Half Marathon.

A couple of weeks ago I had a lovely Run Club lady ask if I'd like to run with her in Canberra as this was a training run for her in the lead up to the Gold Coast Marathon.  Initially I was reluctant to run with her, because I struggle with my head.  But with some consideration I decided that yes, I'd love to share the experience with someone and this someone is one of the most consistent runners out there.  When she sets a pace, she very rarely deviates from it.  No pressure my friendly runner :)

Good luck to all who are running this weekend.  I know there's quite a lot of us who'll be in Canberra but we've also got Victorians who'll be running the Geelong Half Marathon.



11km LSR was run on Easter Sunday at about 4pm, when it had been pouring with rain all day.  I did not feel the love to get out, but decided to listen to a podcast, Marathon Talk, where the legend Rod Dixon was being interviewed.  That podcast could've been written for me.  It gave me one of the best runs in a long time.  There were many things that I'll draw on while running on Sunday, including my virtual friend Carol - we're running this together Carol xx


1 comment:

  1. It's good when a well laid plan comes together. Shoes, physio, ITB and Podcasts provide excellent assists, at the end of the day it's you kicking your goals.
    Good Luck in Canberra Sue, will be thinking of you!!

    ReplyDelete