Sunday 21 December 2014

Running Shoes

Running shoes, the tool that will assist us with our running.  So many styles, so many colours out there, which ones do we choose.

Thankfully I've been reasonably fussy with shoes, knowing that good shoes will be good for my feet and legs.

I've comfortably run in Nike and Asics but a couple of months ago I got fitted for some Hokas and decided to give them a go.  I have quite a few friends who run in Hokas and rave about them - the support for joints and their comfort.  These ladies have run marathons and will not wear anything else to run in.

Hokas are considered a neutral shoe so have required some transitioning for me.  Initially I wore them on a Parkrun but within about 800m was struggling with calf pain.  I've very carefully worn them and built up distance in them, so that I'm now running 10km in them and have run a couple of events in them.


Now, it's a well known fact that I'm not the fastest runner out there, geez, I'm a plodder.  But I do enjoy my running (most of the time).  However, over the last couple of months while running in the Hokas my pace has dropped off a bit, about 20 - 30 sec per km.  No big deal, I'm not an Olympian.  But I would like to be a tiny bit faster when I know I am capable of running faster.

This weekend I went on a 12km LSR, and decided to try my trusty Asics.  It was a good run, pace was good, and I completed the distance.  But oh my oh my, within an hour and still 36 hours later, my knees are struggling with joint pain and the feeling of stiffness.

So in my old age (wisdom), I will keep plodding with the Hokas.  I'll take the support they provide for my knees over pace any day.


1 comment:

  1. Will be interested to read more on this story as it unfolds for you Sue. I often think that the 'right' shoe is probably out there for everyone, but because of the cost, and the risk of going 'backwards' in our training from trying a new shoe, it is unlikely that many will find it!
    Right now I am loving the Hoka Conquest. It is by far the best shoe I have used in my short history as a runner. I am one of the lucky ones who has been able to do a bit of experimenting and I feel very grateful for this.
    It will certainly be interesting to see how you go as you increase your distance leading up to the running season. Keep us Posted!!

    ReplyDelete