Saturday 1 November 2014

A big couple of weeks with so much learnt

Warning, this is a long post with lots of photos.

Well, I've had a big couple of weeks, with lots learnt both physically and mentally.  Things I've learnt, I'll be taking with me into the new year and working on in 2015.

Last Sunday I participated in the Nepean Triathlon in the Enticer distance.  This consisted of a 250m swim, 10km ride, 2.5km run.  Now the distances may seem small, but when ou put them all together for the one event, it's really tough on your body.

Earlier in the year I participated in a triathlon at the same venue (swimming at a regatta centre) and it was a really bad experience for me, having to get pulled out of the water and on oxygen for 20 minutes due to a respiratory infection and low oxygen levels.  Over the last few months I've done what I can to overcome the anxiety from this.  I've attended open water swimming clinics and a stroke correction clinic.

The day dawned, the race was not until 4pm, the weather was HOT!!!!  I was fine in the morning, very aware of nutrition throughout the day, but from about 12 nerves started to get the better of me.  Nerves and anxiety - yuck!!!!!

I'm so lucky to have found Mind Body Motion Run Club, because I've made some amazing friends.  Ladies who also like to participate in triathlons, so once we were at the venue, there were a lot of familiar faces.

My goal for the day was focused on the swim - mostly to finish happy and healthy but secretly to finish within 10 minutes.

I'd like to say a special thanks to Sue Linsen for her amazing photos - she just seems to capture the moment magically.















I've been overweight/obese for over 20 years and in those 20 years used to hide behind my children or not be in photos.  It's taken me some time but I'm now starting to like the photos of me that I see.  I think the photographer has a lot to do with it - she captures those moments that are not set up.

My times for the triathlon were;

Swim 7.01
transition 2.58
cycle 23.03
transition 1.11
run 15.09

I was stoked with the results.  I may have been down the far end of the pack, there were some serious triathletes out there, but I did it and I did it for me!!!!

Lessons learnt:  More swimming training is needed and I need to train two disciplines together, particularly cycling then running, even if it's only 2km off the bike.

Now, roll on one week to a 10km running event - Run Sydney, 10km around the 2000 Olympic Games precinct.

My plan said for it to be a pb run.  I've really struggled with running over the last 4-6 weeks.  Struggling to run any distance without 'needing' a pit stop or drinks break.

Today a couple of Run Club ladies offered to run with me, but I wanted to run on my own and be responsible for my running.  I'm happy to say I ran the whole way!!!  Secretly had a goal of 1.05 which would've been a 6.30 min/km pace.  I came in at 1.06.32 which was 6.32 pace over the 10.2km I clocked.  Lesson:  take a few seconds off goal pace to allow for the couple of hundred metres extra that I always seem to run.

I was happy with the result, happy that I ran it my way and happy after hearing some devastating news about a family member and a marathoner in the states.  Two great ladies who've been diagnosed with different forms of cancer.  A few reflective moments while running today, to think of these ladies and appreciate my health and my ability to run.  What's a couple of minutes when you can run 10km and others are facing very confronting issues with their health.

Run Clubbers heading off to the start line




Lesson learnt:  I can run!!!  It's time to push myself out of my comfort zone and push.  No matter what distance I run, I seem to run in my comfort zone.  I do work hard but I know I can work hard, push myself a bit more.  Next year I'd like to work on pushing myself out of my comfort zone - what's the worst that can happen??  I'm not going to die.  I might need to stop and walk for a bit??  Time to talk to the coach about this :)

1 comment:

  1. Well done Sue. You have kicked some goals this year and buried some fears.
    More power to you!
    You're a Star!

    ReplyDelete