Wednesday 24 September 2014

Inspiration

Inspiration - such a big word, that makes such a difference in people's lives.

We can be inspired or we can inspire others - or both.

I have been told a few times now how I inspire people and it's a truly humbling thing to hear.  I didn't begin this journey to inspire others, I did it to purely lose weight, didn't even plan on long distance running, but some things just evolve.  As you lose weight, get fitter and stronger and have more self belief, you begin to tackle more challenges in life.

Early on in my running journey, a good friend, Donna, recommended I join the facebook group, 'Running the World'.  There are some amazing people on Running the World - regular people who do amazing things, from beginning runners to ultra marathoners, to people running marathons on a weekly basis.  They are doing things that make me go 'WOW'.

There is one guy who I admire on the Running the World page, a pretty buff looking guy, self confessed bad ass, who runs and runs.  He runs marathons and ultra marathons - road and trail, and is now in training for an Ironman!!!  He's one of these guys that you admire from afar and build up an image of him having been a runner for his whole life and being super disciplined in his life.

This morning I was shocked to see on my newsfeed a post about Tim, and how he'd lost 90lbs and his running journey.  I read this article and was in total awe of this man, to not only lose alot of weight but then to run, faster, more effectively and focus on the nutrition to make his running better.  Here I thought he was just a badass American who'd been running forever.



Here is the article.  Have a read.

Tim Christoni - badass or Mr Nice Guy?

So I'm sorry Tim, I know all the Running the World people think you're a badass runner, but I think you're a Mr Nice Guy who's turned a page in his life, respecting his body and working extremely hard.

I've been told over time that I'm an inspiration, and like I said I didn't do or start this journey to inspire others - I needed to start respecting my body and looking after myself.

Last weekend was my son's 21st birthday and I spent many hours scanning photos and creating a powerpoint for the night.  It was extremely difficult to find any photos of me with my children and the photos I did find had me hiding behind my children.

Since losing the weight and becoming a runner, I can now proudly stand beside my children.  Proud to be me, proud to be their fit, healthy mum.  No more hiding.


Whatever journey you're on, wherever you are on that journey, find people who inspire you, keeping JFDI!!!!  Find those positive people and get rid of the baggage!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Sue great post. That bad ass Mr. Nice Guy is truly an inspiration. As are you my friend. Love reading about your running and tri exploits. I know what you mean about finding pics without seeing you hiding, made worse by the fact I'm a scrapbooker and memory keeper!! I think I had a whole decade where I had perfected the art of leaning into a shot over the back of someone sitting ... no double chin or excessively large belly in the shot you see. Gaaaah, years wasted, but we're finding them now right?

    ReplyDelete