Friday 27 June 2014

8 days to go!!!!

OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!

8 days to go!!!!!  I still struggle to believe it's all going to be happening so soon.  I'm actually feeling relatively calm.  I'm not a super excited person, quite calm externally but I like to think of myself as the duck ........

The last two weeks has had some momentous ups and a bit of a crappy downer.

I'll get the crappy downer out of the way first, because the ups deserve more time.

What's the old saying, 'you can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family'.  How true it is.  I won't go into too much detail, just another let down for Gold Coast weekend, but it has reaffirmed for me that I'm running this half marathon for me and me alone.  It would be nice to have the support, but you know what, I get so much more positive support from Run Club and some amazing running friends.

Two Saturday's ago, it was a miserable drizzly morning in Sydney, but I had planned to run my longest run so far, 20km around The Armory with my husband and new running buddy Katrina.  Luckily the rain held off most of the way and it was just a bit of drizzle at times.  I hadn't run with Katrina before, but our running coach had recommended we'd be ok together, similar pace and running our first half marathon.

I think she's probably a touch faster than me, but not out of my comfort zone faster, just enough to keep me working hard rather than slacking off and zoning out.  We ran well together.  We completed the 20km - the last 3km were hard work, quads were tightening and my knees felt like they needed a big stretch.


LOOK!!!! We finished our 20km in 2.17.47, a training run.   This gives me that little bit of hope that my goal is achievable.  The goal seemed so unachievable for so long, I might as well have said I was going to fly to the moon.  But all at once, the training, the kms, all seemed to click and it's given me hope, given me confidence.

hahahahaha yep, go ahead and laugh.  I could name lots of you who have had faith in me, it was just me learning to have faith in myself.

Saturday afternoon and evenings are tough after these LSR - my muscles are very tired.  And that Saturday night and Sunday I had some knee joint pain that scared me, made me wonder if this is going to be my one and only half.  That decision will be made post Gold Coast.

Fast forward to the next Saturday and my LSR was 17km, such a relief to have hit the peak and reducing the distances.  Even though Katrina and I joked about 'it's only 17km' - it's still a long way.  But guess what, my fitness is improving and it's helping running with Katrina.  Let's compare some stats;

Four weeks ago I ran 17km at Narrabeen Lakes, not 100% healthy, but ran that distance in 2:06:10.
Last weekend I ran 17km with Katrina around The Armory in 1:55:32.

That's an 11min pb over four weeks, I was ecstatic!!!!!!  More proof that the training is working and it's all coming together at the right time.



It's been 16 weeks of training.

I've followed a plan, done the training, run hundreds of kms over the 16 weeks.  I've had regular massages (my little treat to myself).  My fitness and mental health has improved and I'm now ready to take on the Gold Coast Half Marathon!!!!!

3 runs to go, 3 measly little (some not so little) runs to go!!!!!

Yep, I think I'm that duck, nice and calm on the outside but paddling madly under the water.


1 comment:

  1. Good on you Sue. To use your analogy, you are paddling and you have made it to the surface, and staying on top. Ducks have wings to fly and you are flying. I can not express my respect for you in words. Your consistency, your approach, your grace despite having to grapple with doubts and just as many obstacles as everyone else and how you have dealt with everything that has come your way has been a fine example for all who have travelled with you!! Best of luck for your GC run. Looking forward to reading about how you went and seeing the bling!!

    ReplyDelete