Monday 21 April 2014

so totally humbled

Normally I'd be giving you a wrap up of the half marathon training for the week that was, but I'm going to give that a miss this week.  Something far more humbling and inspiring happened today and I want to share that news.  BTW the half training is going good :)

Today I'd organised to meet a group of Run Club peoples at the Ettamogah pub for a 20 - 30 km bike ride.  The Ettamogah is about 7.5km from home, so I thought for the extra challenge and also the time fact, I'd ride there to meet the group.  The time factor:  by the time I took the wheel off the bike, loaded it in the car, drove there and reassembled the bike, I could ride there in the same amount of time.

So about 7.50am I left home to arrive at the Ettamogah, arriving in plenty of time.  At about 8.30am a group of us set out heading west on Old Windsor Rd.  It was a beautiful autumn morning and riding on a shared cycle/walk way was just the best way to spend the morning.  While riding I mentioned to Michelle that one of my goals is to ride all the way to Windsor and back again.  In my goal setting, I'd thought the June long weekend would be a good time to do it.

Little did I know that Michelle was having a chat to the Running Whisperer and we'd be cycling all the way to Windsor this glorious day.

Not only did we ride to Windsor but we rode back to the Ettamogah, had a coffee break and then rode home for a grand total of 45.08km!!!!  Not a bad workout for the morning.




Look at all those km markers!!!!

But it only gets better!!!  A couple of hours later I noticed I'd been mentioned in a facebook post.  I cannot express my surprise and humble feeling when reading the post.  It reduced me to tears.  I don't exercise for the accolades or the pats on the back.  

I exercise because;
  • it's now a way of life
  • the feeling you get after achieving something you never thought possible'
  • my life is worth the time to get out and exercise
  • the ongoing physical challenges which also makes me a more positive person in other areas of my life
  • the amazing people I meet
  • the amazing people who've loved me and supported me 
  • no matter how old my children are, I'm showing them a healthy lifestyle
  • I have two good legs, a healthy heart and I CAN run
and finally;
  • that first Saturday when I met Molly and we 'completed' a SSS (Super Saturday Session) - just call me 'lay down Susie'.  I struggled to complete the workout, having to lay down to catch my breath, trying really hard not to cry.
I will not go back there!!!!

So folks, get out there and do it!!!  Believe and you can achieve, what's stopping you???

Here is the photo and the post that reduced this sooky la la to tears;


Today we are giving a shout out for Sue who is a member of our Run Club. Two years ago Sue didn’t cycle or run. 

Today she rode 44km from her house in the hills out to Windsor and back. It was an ‘accident’. 

Last month she ran a marathon distance 42.195km over four days in our Multi-Stage Marathon.

Last month she also completed her first triathlon.

In the last few months she has achieved 5km and 10km PB’s and run the furthest she has ever run. In July she will be completing her first half marathon.

Not bad for a woman who wasn’t sure if she could participate in any of these activities. Sue is a positive person who keeps challenging herself to get out of her comfort zone and she is also surrounding herself with people who believe that she can Make It Happen in 2014! And making it happen she certainly is. Well done Sue!




2 comments:

  1. That's brilliant Sue. A great way to lead into your Autumn/Winter training! Don't feel uncomfortable from a bit of attention. It's well deserved and helps to inspire others :) You go girl, and keep kicking your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, such a well deserved shout out. You think you soak up the inspiration of other people, but mate you are the inspiring one. Love this.

    Carol / www.finding-carol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete