Sunday 10 August 2014

The month that was - part 1

Wow, cannot believe that it's 5 weeks since Gold Coast Half Marathon and so much has happened.  I've sat down a few times to write a post and been too tired to get my head around everything.

I've had highs and lows, both physically and emotionally but feeling good about life at the moment.

As you know I came down with bursitis in both upper thighs the week before the half marathon.  So the plan was to reduce my kms in training and ease up on that pain.

The Sunday after the Gold Coast I headed into the city for the Sydney Harbour 10k, as a recovery run.  I'd only run once during the week, so it was definitely a recovery run.  I did intend on running intervals, a km at 6.10 pace and a km at 6.20 pace, but I'd set my Garmin up incorrectly and it didn't work, so I ended up running naked.  It was a chilly morning but beautiful scenery, around the gorgeous Sydney Harbour.  I came in at 1.05.29, so really happy with that, especially considering from about 4km mark I felt like I had lumps of lead in my thighs.





The last two pictures were taken by Run Club's no. 1 paparazzi, Sue Linsen and I must say, she takes a better photo than the official company.

Fast forward to Sunday 27/7 where our Run Club had organised a 14km Fun Run around West Pennant Hills and Castle Hill to give us a taste of City to Surf.  I live in the hills area and thought, yep, hills, no problem.  Once we got off the main road and were driving to the start area, I was looking at the hills in a very different manner - we were surrounded by hills!!!!  Off we went, with some very speedy Run Clubbers.  My aim was to run the whole way - which I did ............... YAY!!!!

But it was tough, incredibly tough.  I ran most of the way with Lynette and there were quite a few swear words thrown in.  Even though it was physically tough, it was achievable and I came in at third to last but I didn't care, I'd run the whole way and my head was in such a good space.  I've struggled so much with head space, that this was quite a momentous occasion for me.




This photo was taken by Sue Linsen and just after the toughest hill, think I'd just been busted saying a few swear words :)

To be continued tomorrow night, too exhausted after my run today and need some serious sleep.

Happy running lovely people.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Sue, love that close up pic of you that your Run Club person took, it's brilliant. You are seriously kicking goals at the moment, so inspiring. I also think I need to remind you people up in NSW that it's winter, what's with all the sunshine in the photos! Hmmmph. ;-)

    ReplyDelete